A Massive Pileup and Heavy Weather Interrupt the Daytona 500
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — A 16-car chain reaction accident brought chaos to the Daytona 500 after only 15 of 200 laps Sunday, and during the […]

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — A 16-car chain reaction accident brought chaos to the Daytona 500 after only 15 of 200 laps Sunday, and during the ensuing cleanup, a violent lightning storm and rain shower caused a lengthy stop to the race.Kyle Busch pushed Christopher Bell into the back of Aric Almirola, who was running second. Almirola’s car lost traction as it drove over a slick, painted double line on the inside of the track. It veered into the car of Alex Bowman, who had started on the pole and was then running third.As the leader, Kevin Harvick, sped away unscathed, a closely bunched pack of cars piled blindly into the wreckage behind him. The cars slammed into the outside retaining wall, into one another and into more danger in the infield. It appeared that no one was hurt.The grassy infield had been turned into a muddy bog by a week of rain. Mud flew in every direction, splattering windshields, blocking drivers’ vision and coating the track with slime, worsening the melee.The storm, carrying golf-ball-size hail, lightning, thunder and strong winds, moved over the track even as the cars were skidding to a stop. The cars still running were ordered to pit road, and drivers got out as tarps were put over the cars. The race was stopped and no repairs were allowed.Fox television, which broadcast the race, announced that 16 cars had received significant damage. The affected drivers included the early leader, Ryan Newman, who was making his comeback after a near-fatal accident at the end of last year’s race. Others involved included William Byron, the other front row starter; Martin Truex Jr.; Erik Jones; Kurt Busch; and Jamie McMurray. Ryan Blaney made it through the wreck, only to spin into the infield mud, which tore out key components under his car. The cars of Almirola, Bowman and Newman looked too badly damaged to be repaired.During the delay, Marissa Briscoe, the wife of driver Chase Briscoe, tweeted a photo of her husband, still dressed in his racing suit, ordering food at a Panda Express drive through.The ferocity of the storm caused officials to order evacuation of the grandstands, which contained about 20,000 socially distanced fans. Fox television camera positions were also ordered abandoned. Track drying efforts, which typically require two to three hours once the rain stops, began when the lightning alert was lifted after an hour.The prerace favorite Denny Hamlin, going for an unprecedented third consecutive Daytona 500 victory, avoided the crash entirely, having dropped back to the rear of the field on purpose. He said he’d had a “premonition” that something might happen.“Predictable,” he said, shrugging. Hamlin won three of the last five Daytona 500s and had finished fourth in another by following his instincts, he said.Darrell Wallace Jr., who drives for the team Hamlin started with the basketball legend Michael Jordan, brought out the race’s first yellow flag on Lap 3 when he tangled with Derrike Cope. After minor repairs, Wallace was able to continue, although Cope, the race’s oldest driver at 62, crashed out of the event.Harvick was scored as the leader when the race was red-flagged. More thunderstorms moved through early Sunday evening and it was unclear whether the race would resume or be postponed.
คาสิโน โบนัส 100% คาสิโน โบนัส100% เฮงๆ 666 คาสิโน หวยออนไลน์ คาสิโน

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *